The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission’s (PTC) Mon/Fayette Expressway (PA Turnpike 43) encompasses four separate projects. The first three Mon/Fayette projects have been built and stretch 54 miles by connecting I-68 near Morgantown, West Virginia to PA Route 51 in Jefferson Hills, Allegheny County.
The PA Route 51 to I-376 Project is the final and the largest of the four Mon/Fayette Expressway projects. Due to funding availability, this project has been divided into two sections: north of the Monongahela River and south of the Monongahela River.
The first section being constructed is south of the Monongahela River, which is an eight-mile stretch between PA Route 51 in Jefferson Hills Borough to PA Route 837 in the City of Duquesne, Allegheny County.
Due to the size and scope of this southern section, it has been broken into seven construction sections, which will include areas within Jefferson Hills Borough, West Mifflin Borough, Dravosburg, the City of Clairton and the City of Duquesne.
The PTC awarded the first construction contract in January 2023. All construction information can be found under ‘Construction Details’ and by also using the project map below.
As the sections with tolling points are completed, they will be opened to traffic. The estimated timeline for each construction section is listed below.
When construction of both the southern and northern sections of the PA Route 51 to I-376 Project is complete, the Mon/Fayette Expressway will allow traffic to travel 68 miles from I-68 near Morgantown, West Virginia to I-376 in Monroeville, Allegheny County.
Construction Details – Southern Section
(PA Route 51 to PA Route 837)
The southern section of the Mon/Fayette PA Route 51 to I-376 Project is divided into seven construction sections. Construction of the first section (53A1) began in March 2023. Construction on the remaining sections will continue and sections of the roadway will open as interchanges are completed and toll points are put in place.
Below is a brief description and map of the seven sections.
- Section 53A1 - Begins at the existing PA Route 43 and PA Route 51 interchange and continues to north of Coal Valley Road in Jefferson Hills Borough.
- Section 53A2 - Begins north of Coal Valley Road and continues to north of Camp Hollow Road near Curry Hollow Road in West Mifflin Borough.
- Section 53B1A - Begins at Mainline north of Camp Hollow Road and continues to north of Pittsburgh McKeesport Blvd in Dravosburg.
- Section 53B2 - Begins north of Pittsburgh McKeesport Boulevard and continues to south of Homeville Road in West Mifflin.
- Section 53C1 - Begins south of Homeville Road and continues to a new terminus at Exit 61, and a new Middle Connector Road to new Overland Avenue Extension in Duquesne.
- Section 53C2 - Realignment of Commonwealth Avenue / Upper Connector Road and a realignment of Hoffman Boulevard, which will provide a new T-Intersection with Commonwealth Avenue in Duquesne.
- Section 53C3 - Replacement of existing PA Route 837 bridge and approaches, along with a new Lower Connector Road to new Overland Avenue Extension in Duquesne.
Click on the interactive map below to view details in section 53A1.
Below is an estimated timeline for the construction phase of each of the seven sections of the PA Route 51 to PA Route 837 Project. Section 53EA involves the installation of message signs that provide traffic updates on PA Route 51 and the existing Mon/Fayette Expressway.
Construction timeline is subject to change upon funding availability.