Back to Completed Construction
The Section A1 project involves the replacement of the two existing bridges at the Bensalem (Route 1) Interchange with a single span bridge. The footprint of the proposed bridge is being shifted east to accommodate the new staged ramp configuration for the future widening of the PA Turnpike. Additionally the existing Westbound on ramp will be realigned to improve the current traffic flow operations.
The construction for this project also includes:
- Demolition of existing bridges over PA Turnpike mainline.
- Building of mechanically stabilized earth (MSE) wall adjacent to eastbound PA Turnpike mainline off-ramp.
- Construction of future eastbound PA Turnpike mainline off-ramp roadway.
- Placement of concrete pavement via staged ramp reconstruction.
- Upgrade of drainage measures and mast lighting installed throughout the Interchange.
- Installation of a precast slab interlocking system located at the Interchange’s roadway approach.
The Notice To Proceed was August 2016. The duration of the project is over two and half (2 ½) years with construction completing by May 2019.
Project status is completed as of June 2020