Lane restrictions at Allegheny Tunnel, Somerset County, Begin April 20
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission advises motorists traveling through Somerset County to be prepared for possible delays beginning April 20, as single-lane patterns and two-way traffic go into effect at the Allegheny Tunnel, located at milepost 122.
The eastbound tunnel will close at 8:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on April 20. This means two-way traffic will be moving inside the westbound tunnel. The westbound tunnel will be closed from 8:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on April 21; two -way traffic will then be moving inside the eastbound tunnel.
The tunnels need to be closed for routine maintenance and repair work. Work schedules are subject to change based on weather conditions.
Motorists should stay alert when approaching and entering the tunnel. Drivers are urged to turn on headlights, slow down and keep an adequate distance from the vehicle you are following; remain in your lane and do not pass in the tunnel.
If you experience car trouble and cannot safely exit the tunnel, stay in your car, put on your hazard lights and wait for assistance. Tunnel personnel will monitor closed-circuit cameras and send help for disabled vehicles.
To report an accident or other emergency on the PA Turnpike, dial *11 via mobile phone. To learn more about PA Turnpike conditions, use one of these resources:
ON THE TURNPIKE
- 511PA Smartphone App: real-time, hands-free PA traffic advisories
- Waze Smartphone App: real-time alerts from other drivers
- Digital Message Signs: more than 100 boards along the Turnpike
ON THE WEB
- Turnpike Travel Conditions Map: live, interactive map
- 511: dial from any PA roadway for local travel information
- Pennsylvania Turnpike Customer Assistance Center: 1-800-331-3414, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Outside U.S., please call 717-831-7601)