Vehicle Restrictions on PA Turnpike
Some Vehicle Restrictions Remain in Northeast PA on PennDOT and PA Turnpike Roadways
While vehicle restrictions have been lifted in many areas of the state, several roadways in Northeast Pennsylvania still have restrictions in place. These restrictions will remain in place until conditions warrant their removal. Motorists are urged to avoid non-essential travel as crews continue their work to clear and treat roadways.
The following roadways have Tier 1 restrictions in place:
- Route 33 from Interstate 78 to Interstate 80;
- Interstate 78 from Route 33 to the New Jersey border;
- Interstate 81 from Interstate 80 to the New Jersey border; and
- Interstate 476 (PA Turnpike Northeast Extension) from Lehigh Valley Interchange (Interstate 78, Exit 56) to Clarks Summit (Interstate 81, Exit 131).
Under Tier 1 restrictions, the following vehicles are not permitted on affected roadways:
- Tractors without trailers;
- Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded enclosed trailers, open trailers or tank trailers;
- Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded tandem trailers;
- Enclosed cargo delivery trucks that meet the definition of a CMV;
- Passenger vehicles (cars, SUV’s, pickup trucks, etc.) that are towing trailers;
- Recreational vehicles/motorhomes;
- School buses, commercial buses and motor coaches not carrying chains or Alternate Traction Devices (ATD’s); and
The following roadways have Tier 4 restrictions in place:
- Interstate 80 from Interstate 81 to Route 33;
- The entire length of Interstate 84; and
- Interstate 380 from Interstate 80 to Interstate 81
On roadways with Tier 4 restrictions in place, no commercial vehicles are permitted. Additionally, all school buses, commercial buses, motor coaches, motorcycles, RVs/motorhomes and passenger vehicles (cars, SUVs, pickup trucks, etc.) that are towing trailers are not permitted on affected roadways while restrictions are in place.
Additional speed and vehicle restrictions on these and other interstates could be added depending on changing conditions.
Restrictions will be communicated via variable message boards, the 511PA traveler information website at www.511pa.com and smartphone apps. Motorists can also sign up for alerts on www.511pa.com by clicking on “Personal Alerts” in the left-hand menu.