UPDATE: PA Turnpike Vehicle and Speed Restrictions as of 9:15 p.m.
Check 511PA.com for latest updates
Harrisburg, PA – The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission (PTC) speed and vehicle restrictions implemented today at 5 p.m. continue to be in effect at this hour. Here is the PTC update as of 9:15 p.m.:
Vehicle restrictions remain at Tier 3 of the commonwealth’s weather event vehicle restriction plan on PA Turnpike (I-76) from Breezewood to Valley Forge and on PA Turnpike (I-276) from Valley Forge to Fort Washington. On roadways with Tier 3 restrictions in place, no commercial vehicles are permitted EXCEPT loaded single trailers with chains or approved Alternate Traction Devices. Additionally, all school buses, commercial buses, motor coaches, motorcycles, RVs/motorhomes and passenger vehicles (cars, SUVs, pickup trucks, etc.) towing trailers are not permitted on affected roadways while restrictions are in place.
Vehicle restrictions remain at Tier 1 of the commonwealth’s weather event vehicle restriction plan on the following PTC roadways:
- I-76/70 PA Turnpike: New Stanton to Breezewood
- I-476 PA Turnpike (Northeastern Extension): Mid County to Clarks Summit
- I-276 PA Turnpike: Fort Washington to I-95 connector
- I-95 PA Turnpike: I-276 to NJ line
Under Tier 1 restrictions, the following vehicles are not permitted on affected roadways:
- Tractors without trailers;
- Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded enclosed trailers, open trailers or tank trailers;
- Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded tandem trailers;
- Enclosed cargo delivery trucks that meet the definition of a CMV;
- Passenger vehicles (cars, SUV’s, pickup trucks, etc.) towing trailers;
- Recreational vehicles/motorhomes;
- School buses, commercial buses and motor coaches; and
Speed limits will be restricted to 45 mph on these roadways for all vehicles while restrictions are in place, and commercial vehicles not affected by the bans must move to the right lane. Additional speed restrictions could be added depending on conditions.
A 45-mph speed restriction also remains in place on the PA Turnpike (I-76) from Pittsburgh to New Stanton, and commercial vehicles are restricted to the right lane only in this section as well.
Kathleen Walter, 267-326-3856