|February 15, 2019|
Overnight Closure Planned on PA Turnpike between Pittsburgh and Irwin Feb. 17
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission advises motorists that the toll road will be closed overnight in both directions between the Pittsburgh (Exit #57) and Irwin (Exit #67) interchanges on Feb. 17 from 12:01 a.m. to 5 a.m., weather permitting. The closure is needed to safely remove the original overhead bridge which carried traffic on Trafford-Murrysville Road over the Turnpike at milepost 59.6. The replacement bridge was opened to traffic in September 2018.
The recommended detour for eastbound traffic exiting at Pittsburgh Interchange is:
U.S. Route 22 east (10.5 miles) to Turnpike 66 south (7 miles) to U.S. Route 30 west (4.6 miles). Reenter the Turnpike at the Irwin Interchange and follow signs for Harrisburg and east.
The recommended detour for westbound traffic exiting at Irwin Interchange is:
U.S. Route 30 east (4.6 miles) to Turnpike 66 north (7 miles) to U.S. Route 22 west (10.5 miles). Reenter the Turnpike at the Pittsburgh Interchange and follow signs to Ohio and west.
Alternate-route cards with the detour directions will be available to travelers exiting at the Pittsburgh and Irwin interchanges. Expect higher traffic volumes on detour roads during the closure. Message boards will be in place to inform customers.
This early-action bridge work is a part of the future Total Reconstruction and Widening of the Turnpike between mileposts 57 and 67 anticipated to start in 2023. For more information on this project visit https://www.patpconstruction.com/mp57to67/ .
To report an accident or other emergency on the PA Turnpike, dial *11 via mobile phone. To learn more about PA Turnpike conditions or to contact us, use one of these resources:
ON THE PA TURNPIKE
· Variable & Digital Message Signs — nearly 100 signs along the Turnpike
· Highway Advisory Radio — 1640 AM (tune-in near interchanges)
· Turnpike Roadway Information Program (toll-free) — 866-976-TRIP (8747)
ON THE WEB
· TRIPTalk — free, travel-alert smartphone app; download at https://www.paturnpike.com/travel/trip_talk.aspx
· Travel Conditions Map — live, interactive conditions map; view at https://www.paturnpike.com/webmap
· Waze — a crowd-sourced navigation app that provides real-time traffic conditions with input from other drivers; download at https://www.waze.com
|CONTACT:||Sue Jones 724-755-5178