|September 13, 2018|
PA Turnpike Closing Overnight Sept. 15 Between Bedford and Breezewood Interchanges
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission advises motorists that the PA Turnpike will be closed in both directions between Bedford,
Exit #146, and Breezewood, Exit #161, interchanges starting at 11:30 p.m. on Sept. 15 until approximately 5 a.m. on Sept. 16, weather permitting.
This approximate five-hour closure is needed for crews to safely remove the bridge which carries traffic on Hazelette Street over the Turnpike at milepost 154.5 in West Providence Township, Bedford County. Prior to the closure, lane restrictions will be in place both eastbound and westbound to position the equipment needed for the bridge removal.
Throughout the evening prior to the closure, announcements will be made inside the South Midway Service Plaza to warn customers that they will not be permitted to continue driving after 11 p.m. on Sept. 15. Announcements will also be made inside the Sideling Hill Service Plaza warning westbound drivers of the closure at Breezewood Interchange. Message boards will also be in place to inform customers of the closure.
Motorists exiting Bedford and Breezewood interchanges will be given recommended detour routes.
Eastbound traffic exiting the Turnpike at the Bedford Interchange will be given this suggested detour:
U.S. Route 220 north (.2 miles) to
U.S. Route 220 south (2.5 miles) to
U.S. Route 30 East (18.5 miles)
Traffic will reenter the PA Turnpike at the Breezewood Interchange
Westbound traffic exiting the Turnpike at the Breezewood Interchange will be given this suggested detour:
U.S Route 30 West (18.5 miles) to
U.S. Route 220 North (2.5 miles) to
U.S. Route 220 North (.2 miles)
Re-enter the PA Turnpike at the Bedford Interchange
During the closure, expect higher traffic volumes on detour roads.
· Variable & Digital Message Signs — nearly 100 signs along the Turnpike
· Highway Advisory Radio — 1640 AM (tune-in near interchanges)
· Turnpike Roadway Information Program (toll-free) — 866-976-TRIP (8747)
ON THE WEB
· TRIPTalk — free, travel-alert smartphone app; download at https://www.paturnpike.com/travel/trip_talk.aspx
· Travel Conditions Map — live, interactive conditions map; view at https://www.paturnpike.com/webmap
· Waze — a crowd-sourced navigation app that provides real-time traffic conditions with input from other drivers; download at https://www.waze.com.
Media Contact: Renee Vid Colborn, 724-755-5260
|CONTACT:||Renee Vid Colborn