News & Public Involvement
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission's Allegheny Tunnel Transportation Improvement Project Environmental Document was finalized in November 2021. The preferred alternative was identified as the Gray Cut Alternative. The Gray Cut Alternative was selected as the Project Preferred Alternative as it best balances all the operational, safety, cost, and environmental considerations that are components of the project. Preliminary design of the Gray Cut Alternative will begin in 2023.
Completed & Upcoming Surveys
Due to the recent decline in certain bat species populations, it is important to protect the critical habitat of these species including hibernacula. Bat surveys will be conducted during the fall of 2022 and summer of 2023 within the project study area for the Gray Cut Alternative. The following links provide additional information on Pennsylvania bats.
- The Worldwide Importance of Bats, a 12 minute video by Bat Conservation and Management and Merlin Tuttle's Bat Conservation: https://youtu.be/U4umck9gaxU
- Fear of bats in perspective, a 3 minute video by Bat Conservation and Management and Merlin Tuttle's Bat Conservation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV0Y1DrvhJA
- PA Game Commission bat species profiles: https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/WildlifeSpecies/Bats/Pages/default.aspx
- Bat Conservation and Management Learning Center area for bats in buildings, human health concerns, and bat houses: https://batmanagement.com/pages/learning-center
- Bat Conservation International information about bats in buildings: https://www.batcon.org/about-bats/bats-in-homes-buildings