Your privacy on the Internet is of the utmost importance to us. At the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission (PTC), we want to make your experience online satisfying and safe.
Because we gather certain types of information about our users, we feel you should fully understand the terms and conditions surrounding the capture and use of that information. This privacy statement discloses what information we gather and how we use it.
Information the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission Website Gathers and Tracks
The PTC website gathers two types of information about users:
1. Information that users provide through optional, voluntary submissions. This kind of information comes from voluntary submissions such as, to join as a Preferred Traveler, apply for overweight/over-dimensional permits, submit an online bidder’s mailing list application, email communications or other electronic communications to the PTC, submission of online forms, making payments, requests for traffic reports, submitting employment applications, and from participation in polls and surveys. This information may contain Personally Identifiable Information (PII), and the PTC’s use of such information is described below.
2. Information the PTC website gathers through aggregated tracking information derived mainly by tallying page views throughout our sites. This information allows us to better tailor our content to users' needs. This information is generally not associated with individual users, and will therefore not usually contain PII. The PTC's use of such information is described below.
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission Gathers User Information in the Following Processes:
1. Optional Voluntary Information. Optional voluntary information may include PII, which means information that identifies a specific individual including but not limited to an individual's name, street address, email address, or phone number. The PTC will protect the personal information submitted through its website to the greatest extent allowed by applicable law. Under no circumstances shall the PTC sell any information gathered through its website for marketing purposes or other purposes. This information may be used by the PTC and its consultants for public outreach and informational purposes, unless an individual specifically requests that we do not.
The PTC offers the following services, which require some type of voluntary submission of personal information by users:
- Preferred Traveler. The PA Turnpike offers a free traveler-notification program to any interested traveler. The PTC gathers the names and email addresses of users who voluntarily subscribe. Subscribers may optionally provide mailing addresses and/or telephone numbers. Users may remove themselves from this program by following the instructions on the Preferred Traveler account management page.
- Email and Online Forms. Users may email or submit online request forms to the PTC through our website with questions about their E-ZPass accounts, construction activity, and any other questions they may have about the PTC’s operations. Email and form requests may be shared with appropriate personnel within the PTC and other entities in order to respond to the request, and may be maintained in order to keep track of user feedback. Form data may be stored to provide on-going service to the user.
- Overweight/Over-dimensional Permits. Due to safety considerations, the PTC requires special permits for overweight/over-dimensional vehicles. There are also restrictions as to the time of day the vehicles may travel as well as holiday restrictions. The issuance of overweight/over-dimensional permits is automated through the PA Turnpike’s website, and requires the input of the organization’s contact information, as well as the load specifications.
In accordance with the Federal Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA), we will never knowingly request PII from anyone under the age of 13 without requesting parental consent.
2. Aggregated Usage Information. The PTC tracks user traffic patterns throughout all of our websites. However, we do not correlate this information with data about individual users. We do not track what individual users read, but rather how well each page performs overall. This helps us continue to build a better service for you. Reports based on this information are for internal use only. We will not disclose any information about any individual user except to comply with applicable law or valid legal process or to protect the personal safety of our users or the public. We may collect some or all of the information listed below about users who view or download information from our website:
- Date, time, and duration of visit
- Referring page
- Search phrase used on search engine
- Page(s) visited
- Operating system
- Browser type
- Client IP address
- HTTP status
- Bytes sent and received
The PTC operates secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems. Our security and privacy policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorized individuals have access to the information provided by our users.
The PTC gives users options to remove themselves wherever necessary and practical. Opting out of participation in certain interactive areas completely alleviates the need to gather any PII from our users.
The PTC makes every effort to ensure that published information is accurate and current. However, neither the PTC nor any of its officers or employees warrant the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of any information published on its website, and shall not be held liable for any losses caused by reliance on the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of such information. Portions of the information on this website may be incorrect or no longer current. Any person or entity that relies on any information obtained from this system does so at their own risk.
Other Privacy Policies
E-ZPass Account Holders
All electronic toll collection account holder information, including names, addresses, account numbers, account balances, personal financial information, vehicle movement records and other information compiled from transactions, is for the exclusive use of the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, its authorized agents, its employees, and law enforcement officials. This account information is used solely for the purpose of billing account holders, deducting toll charges, enforcing toll collection laws and related regulations, and enforcing the provisions of an account holder agreement. The information shall not be deemed a public record under the Right-to-Know Law, nor shall it be discoverable by court order, unless the information is requested in connection with a criminal law enforcement action. This information may also be exchanged with other entities which operate an electronic toll collection system.
PA Toll Pay App Users
The PA Turnpike only collects specific information from and about your device when using the PA Toll Pay App. The PA Turnpike’s PA Toll Pay App may only use this information as long as it is in a form that does not personally identify you or is used to measure the use and performance of the PA Toll Pay App.