Traffic restrictions slated for PA Turnpike’s Kittatinny and Blue Mountain Tunnels in Franklin County
Tunnel maintenance planned for April 12 and 13.
The Pennsylvania Turnpike alerts motorists approaching the Kittatinny and Blue Mountain tunnels, that traffic shifts are slated for April 12 and 13. The tunnels are located in Franklin County between the Willow Hill Interchange, Exit 189, and Blue Mountain Interchange, Exit 201.
The westbound tunnel closure will occur from 8:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Tuesday, April 12. During that time, traffic will crossover to the eastbound tunnels and will be bi-directional.
The eastbound tunnel closure will occur from 8:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Wednesday, April 13. Traffic will crossover to the westbound tunnels and will be bi-directional.
Motorists should stay alert when approaching and entering the tunnel. Drivers are urged to turn on headlights, slow down and keep an adequate distance from the vehicle you are following; remain in your lane and do not pass in the tunnel.
If you experience car trouble and cannot safely exit the tunnel, stay in your car, put on your hazard lights and wait for assistance. Tunnel personnel will monitor closed-circuit cameras and send help for disabled vehicles.
The closure is needed for routine maintenance and repair work inside the tunnels. The work will be performed weather permitting, with a backup work date of April 14 if the scheduled work canceled.
To report an accident or other emergency on the PA Turnpike, dial *11 via mobile phone. To learn more about PA Turnpike conditions, use one of these resources:
ON THE TURNPIKE
- 511PA Smartphone App: real-time, hands-free PA traffic advisories
- Waze Smartphone App: real-time alerts from other drivers
- Digital Message Signs: more than 100 boards along the Turnpike
ON THE WEB
- Turnpike Travel Conditions Map: live, interactive map
- 511: dial from any PA roadway for local travel information
- Pennsylvania Turnpike Customer Assistance Center: 1-800-331-3414, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Outside U.S., please call 717-831-7601)