Have you ever
used an AET
All-Electronic Tolling Implementation
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission (PTC) is committed to implementing a cashless, nonstop All Electronic Tolling (AET) system. Under an AET system, customers will pay without slowing down or stopping at tollbooths. AET is safer, quicker, and more convenient for our customers. The PTC will continue working closely with our customers, employees and stakeholders through the Implementation Process.
Cashless tolling provides many benefits, including:
- Improved mobility – reduced travel times
- Customer convenience – no stopping to pay tolls
- Enhanced safety – reduced number of crashes on barrier-free highways
- Cleaner environment – reduced auto emissions and noise, and improved air and water quality
- Operational efficiencies – lower cost
- Minimal impact to adjacent properties
Motorists will no longer pay with cash on the roadway. Already, around 70 percent of PTC tolls are collected electronically through our E-ZPass system. E-ZPass users pay at least 35 percent less compared to cash users. This means E-ZPass will continue to be the most affordable way to travel the Turnpike. Motorists who decide not to enroll in E-ZPass will still be able to travel the Turnpike after AET is fully implemented.
The AET initiative reflects our mission to responsibly operate and manage a safe, reliable and efficient toll-road system, serve as a transportation services leader, and foster innovation to better serve our customers.