|April 30, 2019|
Lehigh Tunnel Closure Scheduled May 1 and 2
Day-time tunnel maintenance to impact traffic on I-476 in Carbon County.
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission advises motorists traveling on the Northeastern Extension (I-476) to be prepared for day-time single-lane patterns and two-way traffic in the southbound Lehigh Tunnel on May 1 and 2 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day.
By 8 a.m. each day, the northbound tunnel will be closed and all traffic diverted into the southbound tunnel until 2 p.m. when the patterns are lifted. The restrictions are necessary to allow crews to safely perform tunnel inspections.
The Lehigh Tunnel is located at milepost A70-A71 between the Lehigh Valley, Exit 56, and Mahoning Valley, Exit 74, interchanges.
Message boards will be activated to update motorists of any changes to the schedule caused by inclement weather or unforeseen traffic conditions. If the work is delayed, it will take place on the next available day.
Work schedules are subject to change based on weather conditions.
To report an accident or other emergency on the PA Turnpike, dial *11 via mobile phone. To learn more about PA Turnpike conditions or to contact us, use one of these resources:
ON THE PA TURNPIKE
· Variable & Digital Message Signs — nearly 100 signs along the Turnpike
· Highway Advisory Radio — 1640 AM (tune-in near interchanges)
· Turnpike Roadway Information Program (toll-free) — 866-976-TRIP (8747)
ON THE WEB
· TRIPTalk — free, travel-alert smartphone app; download at https://www.paturnpike.com/travel/trip_talk.aspx
· Travel Conditions Map — live, interactive conditions map; view at https://www.paturnpike.com/webmap