|December 6, 2016|
Lehigh Tunnel Closures Scheduled December 7 and 8
The Pennsylvania Turnpike advises motorists traveling on the Northeastern Extension (I-476) to the Lehigh Tunnel that the northbound tunnel will be closed Dec. 7 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. The southbound tunnel will be closed Dec. 8 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The closures are necessary to allow crews to safely perform tunnel inspections and camera maintenance.
By 8 a.m. on Dec. 7, the northbound tunnel will be closed and all traffic diverted into the southbound tunnel until 2 p.m. when the patterns are lifted.
The Lehigh Tunnel is located at milepost A70-A71 between the Lehigh Valley, Exit 56, and Mahoning Valley, Exit 74, interchanges in Carbon County.
Message boards will be activated to update motorists of any changes to the schedule caused by inclement weather or unforeseen traffic conditions. If the closures are delayed, it will take place on the next available day.
Motorists traveling on I-476 should stay alert when entering the tunnel and turn on their headlights. Drivers are also advised to slow down, keep an adequate distance from the vehicle ahead and never pass inside the tunnel. Customers who experience car trouble and cannot safely exit the tunnel should stay in the car, put on the hazard lights and wait for assistance. Tunnel personnel will monitor closed-circuit cameras and send help for disabled vehicles.
To report an accident or other emergencies on the PA Turnpike, dial *11 on your mobile phone. To learn more about PA Turnpike conditions or to contact us, use one of these resources:
ON THE PA TURNPIKE
· Variable & Digital Message Signs — nearly 100 signs along the Turnpike
· Highway Advisory Radio — 1640 AM (tune-in near interchanges)
· Turnpike Roadway Information Program (toll-free) — 866-976-TRIP(8747)
ON THE WEB
· TRIPTalk — free, travel-alert smartphone app; download athttps://www.paturnpike.com/travel/trip_talk.aspx
· Travel Conditions Map — live, interactive conditions map; view athttps://www.paturnpike.com/webmap