|September 30, 2016|
Expect Two-Way Traffic in PA Turnpike Twin Tunnels Next Week
HARRISBURG, PA. (Sept. 30, 2016) — The Pennsylvania Turnpike alerts motorists of a traffic shift through the Kittatinny and Blue Mountain tunnels, which are located on I-76 between the Blue Mountain Exit (#201) and the Willow Hill Exit (#189). Starting Oct. 2 at 8 p.m. until Oct. 6 at noon, the westbound tunnels will be closed; westbound traffic will cross over into the eastbound tunnel — which will be bidirectional for the duration of the closure. Traffic delays are likely approaching the tunnels; watch for stopped or slow-moving traffic.
The closure is necessary for crews to complete the paving of the westbound tunnel lanes.
Drivers are urged to turn on headlights, slow down and keep an adequate distance from the vehicle you are following; remain in your lane and do not pass in the tunnel.
If you experience car trouble and cannot safely exit the tunnel, stay in your car, put on your hazard lights and wait for assistance. Tunnel personnel will monitor closed-circuit cameras and send help for disabled vehicles.
To report an accident or other emergency on the PA Turnpike, dial *11 via mobile phone.
To learn more about PA Turnpike conditions or to contact us, use one of these resources:
ON THE PA TURNPIKE
· Variable & Digital Message Signs — nearly 100 signs along the Turnpike
· Highway Advisory Radio — 1640 AM (tune-in near interchanges)
· Turnpike Roadway Information Program (toll-free) — 866-976-TRIP (8747)
ON THE WEB
· TRIPTalk — free, travel-alert smartphone app; download at https://www.paturnpike.com/travel/trip_talk.aspx
· Travel Conditions Map — live, interactive conditions map; view at https://www.paturnpike.com/webmap